It’s been two weeks since ‘Part 1: Engage and enjoy’. How well have you been able to stay in the moment, and appreciate and celebrate what is right in front of you? How much difference has it made? If you answered “well” to question number one, you have likely answered, “big” to question number two. Choosing to be happy in this moment, right now, even when things aren’t ‘pretty’ is the most powerful thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones. A happier you, means more of you to go around.
So, now that we have taken that first critical step to being happy, let’s get on with the next part…
Part 2: Attitude and Action
Your Key Steps Coaching for the week ahead:
1. Attitude. Cultivate optimism. Develop the habit of seeing the positive side of things. You needn’t become a Pollyanna — after all, unfortunate things do happen. It would be unwise to pretend otherwise. But you don’t have to let the negatives colour your whole outlook. If you’re not an optimistic person by nature, it may take time for you to change your thinking, just take one step at a time and always take…
2. Action. Start by recognising negative thoughts as you have them. Then take a step back and ask yourself these key questions:
• Is the situation really as bad as I think?
• Is there another way to look at the situation?
• What can I learn from this experience that I can use in the future?
Christopher Peterson, PhD of the University of Michigan—who has studied optimism’s link to health for over 20 years—shows optimistic people have a stronger immune system than their negative counterparts. This may be due to their tendency to take better care of themselves. Choose to be happy now and you’ll have more days of good health to enjoy and more opportunities to…