If you believe you can, you probably can. If you believe you can't, you most assuredly can't. Belief is the ignition switch that gets you off the launching pad.
The cause of the confusion prevailing in your mind that weakens your thoughts is the false belief that there is a power or powers outside you greater than the power within you.
Last week we started exploring the ABC’s to a successful life. The ‘A’ represented our ‘Attitude’. What have you noticed about your inner voice? Have you made friends with it and tuned out negative self-talk? How much do you influence your attitude by what you say to yourself? If I hear you answering, “Greatly”, you would be correct. Your attitude shapes the world you live in because when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. What attitude are you bringing to your day… your week… your month… your life? Choose your attitude NOW and then take the next Key Step with me to examine your…
Your Key Steps Coaching for the week ahead:
1. What is a belief? A belief is simply a thought you have said “yes” to enough times. It becomes ingrained in such a way that you treat it as if it is a fact and allow it to run your life. Beliefs come from culture, upbringing, education, TV – in fact, there is very little in the external world that doesn’t have the power to shape what we believe, if we allow it to. When was the last time you thought about what you believe, where it came from and whether it still serves you or holds you back? When was the last time you updated your beliefs and cleared out those that don’t support you? I am not talking religious beliefs here (although they are worth examining too); I am talking about all beliefs… Things like:
• You need to work hard to make a living? Really? According to who? I’m practicing working SMARTER now and it’s a much more empowering belief to have.
• Big boys don’t cry? Is that so? I know plenty of real men who cry unashamedly.
• Women don’t get paid as much as men? I beg to differ. I know many women who earn more than men while doing a similar job. I’m one of them!
• I’m not a public speaker. Believe it or not, that used to be my belief and now I earn a great living speaking in public every day and – what’s more – I love it.
2. What beliefs hold you back? Maybe 10 years ago, you were new to your job and, through lack of confidence and experience, you created a belief that you had little value to add at meetings. Now, 10 years later, you habitually keep quiet and don’t share your ideas. Yet, if you were to examine your skills and abilities now, you are an experienced expert in your field who has much value to add. You’ve just been holding onto an old belief that isn’t true anymore. The list of examples I could give you are endless, what you need to do is take stock and examine your beliefs so you can get rid of the ‘rational-lies’ you tell yourself and replace them with new and empowering thoughts – and the more you say “yes” to them, the more they will operate your life in exciting new ways. Brian Tracy puts it well when he says that when you develop yourself to the point where your belief in yourself is so strong that you know that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to, your future will be unlimited. Choose to believe today that you can…