When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.
Knowledge speaks and wisdoms listens.
Do you listen to learn?
We can hear by simply perceiving sounds with the ear whereas listening is an active process that requires active attention. It’s a highly sought after skill and, fortunately, it’s one we can ALL learn, improve and master. But instead of thinking, ‘I must listen to learn better’ rather tell yourself that from now on you will ‘listen to learn from, the person speaking’. Here’s some Key Steps that you can use in conjunction with last week’s “don’ts” to improve your listening skills.
Six listening do’s
- You have two ears and one mouth: Use them in that proportion.
- Focus attention on the speaker: Don’t allow your mind to wander or show inattention by looking at your watch or phone.
- Use non-verbal signals to show that you are listening: Eye contact or even a nod will do.
- Take notes and use pauses in conversation to summarise: The idea here is assimilation and insight not just ‘mimicking’ what they have said.
- Read between the lines: Listen for what is not being said and ask insightful, relevant questions.
- Keep an open mind: Put yourself in the speakers shoes.
To master the art of listening and gain a host of other communication skills that will catapult your success join us and learn how to…
Communicate with Impact…. DON’T MISS OUT
We are running our first public workshop of 2019 to support you to communicate more impactfully and influentially. This is designed for all levels of the organisation to:
- Gain NLP skills for building rapport and using language effectively
- Adapt communication for various level, contexts and personalities
- Ensure that you learn to distil complex ideas into simple and powerful pyramidsthat can be communicated with ease
- And so much more (click here for full workshop overview)
SPECIAL NEW YEAR OFFER: Book 3 people and number 4 attends for FREE
Date: 1 March 2019 (R3,750.00 per person per day)
Venue: Royal Johannesburg & Kensington Golf Club
1 Fairway Avenue, Linksfield, Johannesburg
You can’t afford not to BOOK NOW and take Key Steps to…
“be the difference that makes the difference”