Are you a micromanager?November 25, 2019
Do you have 2020 vision?December 9, 2019
“Whether you realize it or not, you have the power to be successful by helping others succeed.”
“Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.”
Demand and Dominate don’t work!
Last week we took the first step to overcome micromanaging by tapping into the reasons we fall into the trap in the first place. Now you can take the second step to help you break the habit and…
Lead with vision… not control
Step #2: The solutions for micromanagement
First, a recap of the reason for micromanaging:
- They think they can do their staff’s jobs better.
- They don’t trust their staff to do the job properly.
- They don’t know what else to do (i.e. they might not have learnt how to coach, mentor, train and empower their team to do their jobs effectively or they might not be taking the time to do it!)
- They have staff who, even after the necessary training, mentoring and coaching, are not competent, capable or willing to do their job.
- They might be insecure and don’t want anyone to do a better job than them or to take credit for successes.
Now, your Key Steps to overcome it…
- Ask yourself if you really can? There are probably many aspects of the job you can’t do better (either you have forgotten how or systems have changed etc.) And for the aspects you can do better – mentor your staff and remind yourself that you do not have the time to do two jobs so there is no point in thinking how much better you could do it. Just teach them to do it and allow them to get to the end result THEIR way and not always your way.
- Get yourself on a ‘Performance Management and Coaching’ course – we have one if you need it – and learn to empower your staff and manage non-performance effectively. If it is a time issue, you should see that the time wasted on the job not being done properly means you cannot afford not to take the time to coach and mentor. Block the time in your diary as if it is an emergency because it is an emergency!
- Start working on your self-esteem today. If you don’t feel good about who you are and deeply confident about your self-worth you cannot lead others.
It’s up to you to break the pattern of insanity. You can lead with vision and…
“be the difference that makes the difference”